The most characteristic feature of this little hamlet bordering Gardone Riviera is the presence of numerous lemon gardens, partly still intact, partly reused as habitations. The name “Bezzuglio” seems to derive from the slang-word “buza”, meaning “hollow, sunken place”, maybe referring to the gorge below in the Bornico Valley.
The church of Maclino is dedicated to the Saints Faustino and Jovita. The name “Maclino” seems to derive its name from the illustrious consul Marcus Nonius Macrinus, who owned a sumptuous villa in Toscolano, in the II century A.D..
Vigole e Sanico
These are two little communities of Montemaderno. Vigole derives its name from the word “vicolus”, a diminutive of the Latin “vicus”, meaning “village”. Sanico, located a little bit upstream, seems to derive from the Latin “Sennicus”, meaning “Sennio’s estate”.
Messaga derives its name from a Latin person, maybe Messava, or from Mettiagus. Here lived the noble family of Counts Fioravanti Zuanelli, who were landowners and owners of paper mills and silk factories. In the XVII century they built up the little church dedicated to St. Anthony.
The old church of St. George arises upon a high ground between the lake and the Brede esplanade, an ancient marsh reclaimed by the Dominican friars in the Middle Ages.
Pulciano is a little village near Gaino, whose name seems to derive from the Latin word Publicianus. Meaning “land of Publicius”, where the Sgraffignoli family lived, who owned several paper mills at the beginning of the 17th century. Decimated by the plague in 1630, the family moved to Toscolano and settled in the actual Bernini palace.
Gaino is the main hamlet of Toscolano. It still preserves the historical “texture” of the ancient village. In its centre you can find the small church dedicated to San Sebastiano and on the panoramic hill of San Michele the parish church dedicated to the S. Michael the Archangel.
Folino e Cabiana
Folino is a little inhabited nucleus near Gaino. Its name derives from the word “fullone”, also deriving from the medieval word fullum/follo “follone” and it indicates a place where activities using water were practiced. Cabiana is a small village known in the past for its excellent wines.
Cecina, as Messaga, is one of the most characteristic and well preserved hamlets of the whole territory. Characterized by narrow lanes, ancient arches, beautiful stone-houses and painted plasters. Paganino Paganini and his son Alessandro, both famous printers from Venice, lived close to the square, it was here that Paganino died in 1538. On a small summit arises the church of Cecina, dedicated to St. Nicholas.
Located above Bogliaco Golf Course the tiny hamlet of Mornaga consists of an ancient palace and by some stone houses.
At the foot of Monte Castello, on the hill upstream Cecina, stands Cervano, with its cultivated fields and rural houses, amoung which a beautiful quadrangular-court with a nineteenth-century palace. A pleasant walking leads to the Santuario della Madonna di Supina dating back to XV century.